1 cup Pecans (Walnuts also work, and I imagine cashews would too, but I’ve never tried it)
1 Egg White
1 tsp honey or agave
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup “regular” sugar (whatever you regular is – I like cane sugar, but white is fine too)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- In one bowl, beat the egg white with honey (or agave) and vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper.
- Toss nuts in the egg white mixture, then into the sugar mixture. Keep any left over sugar mixture. (If you have no sugar mixture remaining, just throw together another smaller batch and set aside)
- Bake on 400, turning every 5 mins.
- Once they start to harden, toss them with the remaining sugar mixture and put them back in the oven.
- Keep turning them every 5 minutes until they are a dark brown color, but not burned. You may need to turn every 3 mins when they get closer to done.
- Add sea salt when they are done baking and still hot.
- I baked them in a Pyrex dish bc they burned on metal. Cool them and enjoy. I store mine in the refrigerator.
Candied pecans are the rockstar atop my favorite sweet potato cupcakes.
They would are also yummy atop my spinach and arugula salad with pears. Throw a little goat cheese on top if you like it.